Get cozy with this: 2014 is going to be a stellar year for romantic couples escapes. From San Francisco, Las Vegas, and New York City to Honolulu and Miami, couples will be getting some much needed alone time away from home. According to our couples getaway survey, 92% of you are planning a romantic escape in 2014. Aww!
That’s 14% higher than in 2013. And 17% of lovebirds out there are traveling for Valentine’s Day. The biggest reason appears to be simple: good old-fashioned love, followed by anniversaries and birthdays. And we don’t blame those of you who said you just needed some time away from the kids.
But if you’re not going away for Valentine’s Day, don’t feel bad about it. Most couple are planning a trip in May or September, followed by March, February, and April. So maybe summer is reserved for family trips?
Not surprisingly, the most popular way to spend time will be sightseeing – though shopping, taking a tour, relaxing on the beach, and reading were also popular answers.
This comes right on the heels of Travelers’ Choice Hotels awards for romance, which were announced in January. These are the 10 more romantic stays in the U.S., according to millions of traveler reviews and opinions. Maybe they’ll inspire your next trip…
- Honor Mansion, A Wine Country Resort, Healdsburg, California
- Desert Riviera Hotel, Palm Springs, California
- Bardessono, Yountville, California
- Hotel California, Palm Springs, California
- Adobe Grand Villas, Sedona, Arizona
- Marquesa Hotel, Key West, Florida
- Alhambra Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- Olea Hotel, Glen Ellen, California
- Koa Kea Hotel & Resort, Poipu, Hawaii
- Orchid Key Inn, Key West, Florida
Some other fun facts from the survey:
- 75% will do their romantic escape by air.
- 61% are headed to the beach
- 44% will stay in the U.S., 25% will go international, and 30% will do both
- 35% will splurge on a luxury hotel and 30% will splurge on a room upgrade
Singles, we’ve got you covered, too. These are the top 10 U.S. destinations for solo travelers:
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- New York City, New York
- Miami, Florida
- Chicago, Illinois
- Los Angeles, California
- New Orleans, Louisiana
- Key West, Florida
- San Diego, California
- Washington, D.C.
- Boston, Massachusetts
And if you’re looking to mingle with other singles, the bar is your best bet according to other travelers. And maybe something you haven’t thought about much, but taking tours, cooking classes, and fitness classes are noted as great way for singles to meet.
Haven’t started planning that trip yet? The year is still young. Grab your honey and get to it.