Travelers’ Choice Restaurants represent the most delectable fine-dining venues across the globe, according to millions of traveler reviews and opinions on TripAdvisor. To celebrate the awards and inspire your next culinary adventure, we’re sharing recipes from some of this year’s winners to give you an at-home sampling before you book your reservation.
Travelers’ Choice Restaurant Winner: Restaurant Esszimmer – Sazlburg, Austria
“From the moment we walked through the door we were warmly welcomed and treated like royalty. Our waitresses were extremely knowledgable and attentive but not over the top. The atmosphere was relaxed and classy with a sense of excitement about each course. Our food was beautifully presented and tasted outstanding.”
Reviewed by TripAdvisor Traveler ninaw2014
- Scottish wild salmon filet
- 2 tbs. salt
- 1 tbs. agave
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- 2 grated lemon peels
- 1 bulb fennel
- olive oil
- 3 mashed juniper berries
- 1½ fl. oz. gin
- 2 fl. oz. white wine
- 6½ fl. oz. cream
- 1 shallot, finely sliced
- 3½ oz. butter
- 1 bulb of fennel
- 7 oz. butter
- agave syrup
- grated lemon peel
- 2 tbs. chopped black olives
- 4½ oz. icing sugar
- 4½ oz. almond semolina
- 2 oz. egg whites
- 1 tbs. sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- Marinate the salmon filet (Scottish wild salmon) with the spices, olive oil and gin for at least 24 hrs.
- Slice the fennel wafer-thin, preferably with a food slicer, and marinate with salt, agave, gin, lemon peel and olive oil.
- Sauté the shallot in the liquid butter until translucent, add juniper and pour on white wine, gin and the fond.
- Allow to boil down slightly, then pour on cream and mix.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- braise fennel along with only the condiments and butter
- braise until soft and mince
- add olives and chill
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Mix icing sugar and almond semolina and sieve
- Separately, whisk eggs, sugar and salt by hand until stiff
- Fold the strained icing sugar almond mixture in under the egg white with a dough scraper.
- Use an icing bag to squirt evenly shaped macarons onto a baking tray.
- Allow macarons to dry for 45 minutes on the tray, then sprinkle with the chopped olives and bake them in a dry convection oven for 5 minutes.
- Serve the salmon dish on the raw marinated fennel and place macarons on the salmon.
Connect with foodies and travelers everywhere. Share a photo of your the best meal you’ve experienced while traveling on Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #TravelToTaste, and we’ll re-post some of our favorites!
See the full list of 2015 Travelers’ Choice Restaurant winners at www.tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Restaurants