Travelers’ Choice Restaurants represent the most delectable fine-dining venues across the globe, according to millions of traveler reviews and opinions on TripAdvisor. To celebrate the awards and inspire your next culinary adventure, we’re sharing recipes from some of this year’s winners to give you an at-home sampling before you book your reservation.
Travelers’ Choice Restaurant Winner: Bouley – New York City, New York
“Bouley is an absolute wonderful experience from the moment you walk in. Everything from the wall of apples that greet you at the entrance, to the warmth of the main dining room, the ambience is perfect for a special evening. More importantly, the service and the food are incredible! […] It really does have it all.”
Reviewed by TripAdvisor Traveler 411Travlr411 from Fairfax, Virginia
- 20 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 2 tbsp (30 g) chamomile flowers or the contents of 4 chamomile tea bags
- 1, 3 ½ lbs (1 ½ g) fresh organic chicken, patted dry
- Pepper, freshly grounded
- 4 tbsp (60 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ lbs (680 g) fresh or thawed frozen pizza dough
- ¼ cup (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 ¼ cups (340 g) mixed wild mushrooms, such as shiitake and oyster, stemmed and thickly sliced
- ½ cup veal (113 g) demi-glaze mixed with ½ cup (113 ml) of water
- Preheat to 300°F (150°C) for a convection oven, or 325°F (165°C) for a conventional oven.
- Spread thyme, bay leaves, and chamomile on the bottom of a large, deep, enameled cast-iron casserole dish. Season the chicken inside and out with salt and pepper and set it directly on the aromatics.
- Rub the top of the bird with 3 tbsp. (45 g) of the butter.
- Roll the dough into a rope that is long enough to encircle the casserole. Press the dough onto the rim of the casserole and cover with the lid, pressing it into the dough.
- Pinch the dough up onto the lid slightly to seal the pot completely.
- Bake the chicken in the center of the oven for 1 hour, 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid, cracking the dough, and pierce the thigh to make sure the bird is cooked through. Replace the lid and let the chicken rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in the skillet. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat until golden (about 5 minutes); discard the garlic.
- Add the mushrooms and cook over moderately low heat until softened and lightly browned (about 10 minutes), then season with salt and pepper.
- Add the demi-glaze mixture and simmer until achieving a silky reduction (about 5 minutes). Add the remaining tbsp of butter.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and strain the pan juices into a measuring cup.
- Chef Bouley oven bakes a whole chicken on aromatic alfalfa and clover hay, but for home cooks, dried chamomile flowers ¬— loose or in tea bags — can be substituted for the hay. Before baking, Chef Bouley seals the chicken inside a pot using homemade bread dough, an antique French technique. Store-bought pizza dough works well, too.
Connect with foodies and travelers everywhere. Share a photo of your the best meal you’ve experienced while traveling on Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #TravelToTaste, and we’ll re-post some of our favorites!
See the full list of 2015 Travelers’ Choice Restaurant winners at www.tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Restaurants