Fall travel is up for 2013. According to the results of TripAdvisor’s annual Labor Day and fall travel survey, 86% of Americans are planning an Autumn trip this year, nearly equal to 85% that planned to travel last year. And 33% will do a Labor Day getaway – that’s a 6% increase over 2012.
The main motivators for travel this autumn are fewer crowds (22%) and a more pleasant climate (19%). Additionally, 32% of travelers plan to spend more on their fall leisure trip in 2013, while 57% expect to spend about the same as last year. Some other notable results include:
- More than a quarter of respondents (27%) will take three or more trips this fall.
- 56% of fall travelers will take a vacation lasting a week or longer.
- 52% book their fall vacation three or more months in advance.
- 43% of travelers will enjoy a romantic getaway with a loved one this fall and 38% will travel with family.
- 42% are planning to visit a repeat destination, while 20% will venture out to discover a new locale.
- 42% of fall leisure travelers will enjoy a city trip and 34% plan to head to the beach.
- 74% are planning a hotel stay, 28% will stay with family and friends and 22% will rent a vacation rental home.
The top 5 fall activities are:
- View colorful fall foliage – 44%
- Go wine tasting / visit a vineyard – 29%
- Go to a food festival – 22%
- Attend a football game / collegiate homecoming – 18%
- Go to a state / county fair or fall festival – 18%
And finally, it appears the love for everything pumpkin is still strong this fall as pumpkin pie is a favorite treat for 16% of travelers, followed by apple pie at 14%. And 29% prefer apple cider, while just 11% choose hot chocolate.